Me.

Lie In Our Graves.

When you have a little more than 3GB worth of music from one particular band, you know very well that you've probably never listened to 70% of the songs there, though they may have played every once in a while, on your speakers or through those earphones, as you work on anything and everything.

As much of a fan of the Dave Matthews Band as I claim to be, I will admit here and now that of their 350 songs on my laptop, I've only listened to roughly... 60 songs? I use the word listen because it's not just a matter of hearing the music play - it's about understanding the song, feeling every beat pulsate through your body, allowing every key and every note to envelop you in a warmth that is only yours, and no one else's.


There are but a few songs that mean anything to me. Only a select few that have stirred enough of me to bring my eyes to a tear or two. I've highlighted two such songs on this blog many times - #41 by DMB, and Fire And Rain by James Taylor. In this moment today, I believe I have found myself one other - Lie In Our Graves, by DMB.

Ah. How do I describe the song?

Have you ever felt inspired and carefree, yet depressed and regretful at the very same time? It's a weird feeling, really. A little mix of Heaven and Hell... and sure enough, paradise is a place we're all living in.

That's what this song does to me.

It invokes old memories. It pulls every possible emotion in you to surface. It gives me everything I want, but holds from me everything I need. In its company I've found something which I have been looking for, though I have little clue to what it really is. Right here, right now... It's giving me something which even those closest to me can't offer.

Whether this song should remain this way to me for the years to come is a question I won't answer, but for now... It's come at the right time.

Even if I should cry tonight, I know I'd still be smiling.

For a moment, I felt like sharing the exact song here. Then I realized that putting up a 20-minute, 40MB song was likely to be an effort that would come to waste. If you're interested, look for the one from their concert at The Gorge, Washington - a 7 hour concert played over 3 nights. Amazing.

If only they'd stop visiting Australia and come to Malaysia instead.

Given a certain level of thought byAdam Dewind at 12:13 PM  

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment