Me.

Seconds to Sundown.

The next update in my personal fiction. Please note that all names used are purely fictional, and does not relate to any person in real life.

***
Chapter 1

“I’m home,”

“Mommy, Adam’s home,” yelled a young girl.

“Where’s mother?” asked Adam, as he set his bag on the floor. “In the kitchen,” came the reply. Adam made his way to the kitchen, placing his taking off his watch and glasses as he did so. He found his mother in the kitchen, cutting half a watermelon into a large bowl.

Adam looked around, searching. “Where’s dinner?”

“I didn’t cook any for you,”

“But I told you I was having dinner at home tonight,”

“I didn’t feel like cooking for you. Go out and buy your own food,”

“You haven’t given me my pocket money…”

“I don’t have any money now. Wait till your father gets home tomorrow evening.”

Realizing that he could get no more from his mother for the night, Adam quietly walked over to the fridge, hoping to find something to eat. “I haven’t eaten since yesterday, and that was lunch,” he thought to himself. Unfortunately, he found the fridge empty – not even an apple to fill his growling stomach. He looked over to his mother – who was still cutting up the watermelon – he wondered if that was for him. “Haven’t had watermelon in a while,” he remarked.

His mother continued with what she was doing, and gave him a cold reply, “It’s not for you. So don’t think you’re getting any,”

He kept his eyes on the watermelon, his thoughts on his empty stomach and hand on his empty wallet. There wasn’t anything he could do now – tonight he would go to bed with the same feeling that accompanied him almost every night: hunger. Although he had gotten used to it, it didn’t change the fact that it was difficult to go through. Everyday it was the same: he would come home, and his mother would always give him the cold shoulder. In his own home, Adam was unwanted.

He dragged himself to his room. Lying on his bed, he could think of nothing more to do but turn his laptop on, and get on the Internet to chat with his friends. It seemed like they were the only ones he really had now, the only ones he could really depend on. But it was just his luck…

None of his close friends were online. Not wanting to wait around, he turned off his laptop, and pushed himself to sleep. And all the while, he thought to himself… “Maybe tomorrow I won’t be an outsider in my own home. Maybe tomorrow I’ll be family again.”

Wishful thinking.

***

Is this still too short? Meh. I've decided to add links to posts which have the fiction's updates. You can find them on the side.

Woot xD

Given a certain level of thought byAdam Dewind at 1:24 PM  

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment